Search This Blog

Friday, December 3, 2010

Student Blogging: Great Idea or Asking for Trouble?

I've been thinking about doing a blog with my composition students next semester. I think it would be a great way for students to post responses to readings (especially since we'll be reading lots of literature) and tentative papers topics or thesis statements that their peers can then comment on. Students could also use it as a way to brainstorm ideas for writing if they're at a loss for ideas. I also think my students (who are from the millenial generation) might be more comfortable with starting conversations and sharing ideas online before bringing their personal views to a face-to-face classroom.

The thing is, I've never tried to do a classwide blog like this before. It could be a potential disaster just waiting to happen. I'm curious as to if anyone has any ideas about this. Have you ever tried it and how did it work for you? What did you have them blog about? Do you have ideas that I could try to incorporate into my own classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment